Sunday, August 28, 2005

First post from Chicago

I leave for London next Saturday, 3 September 2005. This is a long-awaited vacation, and first trip to Europe. In fact, it will be my first time outside U.S. borders!

Luckily, I'm well prepared for the trip. I spent this weekend buying the essentials, including a large backpack and outlet converters. Of course, having a Spanish friend along helps enormously. ;) Borja, a fellow PhD student, is accompanying me for the first week and a half.



Here's a rough itinerary of our plans -- click here for a more detailed one. We spend the first five days in London, then two in Amsterdam, and then spend two days in Bilbao. Borja is from Bilbao, which makes it a cool but essential pitstop for us both. Following Spain, I fly alone to Rome. Plans are to spend about nine days there. Otherwise, the Italy leg of the trip is unplanned. I expect to take a night train to Florence, Naples, or Venice. I'll also probably stay in youth hostels, as they are cheaper than the hotels, and reputedly more exciting for the single traveler. Finally, I fly back to Bilbao so that Borja and I can decompress before the flight back. We should return to Chicago on 24 September, just a couple days before classes begin. Does that sound like enough for three weeks?



I'd like to remember the trip many years from now (hence the weblog title); so, I started this mini-weblog. I hope to post at least every two days, but internet access determines the frequency. I'll also post photos from my new digital camera.

To kick off the picture posting, I've added some pictures from today at Promontory Point (on the south shore of Chicago).

4 Comments:

Anonymous victorian inn bed and breakfast said...

These are all the beautiful places and top-most travel destinations of the world.

5:48 AM  
Anonymous virginia bed and breakfast said...

All the places are very pretty and adorable,one can wander in these beautiful destinations and get himself lost in its utmost and scenic beauty, which do attracts everyone when visit these marvelous destinations.

Moreover, you must visit Virginia, The Shenandoah Valley where you must see the very marvelous destination to visit Woodruff Inns Resorts. It is the best place to spend your vacations, honey moons and special holidays.

5:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hiiiii, Sebast Here, I am exciting reading this place I could definitely get involved here.

7:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is half entertaining. But then again I am extremely high right now

6:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home